Ok, let me explain first.
I got the making fabric part down pat! But I tried a new method to make the fabric. I used the telephone book I had saved from the last year's recycle bin. (Actually I saved it and put it somewhere and never found it again until tonight.) And it was pretty cool! New wrinkle in the brain for this one.
I sewed 7 pieces of odd shaped pages together to make somewhat of a square-ish block.
And I got the great idea (not so great really) to use this orange and black stripped fabric that was leftover from a Halloween quilt binding last year as my slashing strips. But when I sat back and looked at my creation the orange and black stripes had faded into the mish mash of fabrics in the block.
So I found some really nice black, I love black. And now my block has some nice black stripes in it.
And the lesson here? you ask.
The strips need to be darker or noticeably lighter than the surrounding fabrics.
Anywho.....it was a really nice learning experience, a good process piece and a whole lot of enjoyable fun after spending the day pulling my hair out trying to reconcile the Spay and Neuter coupons that have come in from the Feral Cat Colony Caretakers around Baton Rouge.
glen: First block will be soon on its way to its new home!
What a fun block. I like your layers of strips!
That block has real zing!! And thanks for the tip about the contrasting strips, Im sure you're right.
I love the multiple layers! looks great!
I love the block. You have nice collection of Halloween fabrics.
Terrific contrast. Love the stripes and dots.
Those stripes really make it a party! You have done wonders with your mish-mash.
Post a Comment