Monday, May 18, 2015
Friday, May 8, 2015
Wednesday, April 29, 2015
This was a Mimi's work from the class I taught at IQSCM" QUILT HOUSE" in Lincoln, NE, a d week ago...
Mimi sent me a few emails on her progress that I thought was fun to share...
Yesterday I attached all my dresdens and as I did, I remembered what you said about conjuring up happy memories from the past. My dresden looked just like something my Gammy would have had in her china. She was an amazing seamstress but only did fine sewing: embroidery, smocked dresses for me etc. So I knew I wanted my dresden to connect to Gammy. So I searched through my basement and found 12 damask napkins that Gammy had monogrammed for her mother-in-law, my great grandmother, “Gee Gee.” While they are around 100 years old, they have been cared for well and when I used to put on the dog for family and in-laws, I would use these napkins when I entertained, washing them immediately and ironing them and putting them away carefully. It just so happens that I am Gee Gee’s namesake so her monogram is MY monogram!
I found these napkins, set aside the few with worn holes etc and found several that didn’t have any problems and realized I was going to put my dresden on one! I love how the outer points look, so I am not going to sew them down, instead, I am going to make radiating quilting out from the center, stitch in the ditch, avoiding the corner monogram. Then I think I’m going to cut a monogram from another napkin and put it in the center with tiny piping of yellow around it. At least that’s what I was planning in the middle of the night! Heh heh (No one in my family entertains like this anymore so I don’t mind cutting up some of them, to give them renewed life in a different way.)
So while I love to do close quilting, I plan to do stitch in the ditch and many not so much quilting.
The center monogram isn’t scaled and you can’t see the yellow much, but do you think appliquéing it to the center would be a good way to go.
Thanks again for the techniques you taught but also the idea that quilters can gain much joy from connecting themselves to family members from the past who deserve a type of resurrection!
This weekend I finished my “Three Grandmothers” wall hanging. I am happy how it turned out and think your recommendation of yellow for the piping/border was right on! I am pleased to give my great grandmother’s damask napkin new light, especially since my grandmother hand embroidered our monogram on it to give to GeeGee as a gift. I figure they are about 70 years old. I cut up a second napkin for the monogram square in the center. The yellow piping/binding is fabric that has all the different names for grandmothers.
Thanks for the inspiration and the encouragement to look back to the women who came before me. As I sewed, I thought of them and how fascinating it would be if this napkin could talk!
Have a great week.
Thank you for sharing your journey Mimi! I love the thoughts that went into making your wallhanging! Well done! It's a beautiful, heartfelt and special project!
Friday, April 3, 2015
Pam N. has been playing! I look forward to seeing what fun will become of these! She says,
I've actually been working the past few mornings on these nine blocks. They will be 20-inch star blocks with blue background and orange/pink star points.
I really do enjoy this kind of playing with fabric. It seems to clear my head, but not just for other creative work. For me, it's a stress reliever when more serious things are on my plate..... Thanks for all your inspiring posts. You really take your SHARE word seriously!! Pam.
Saturday, March 28, 2015
Here is another completed quilt.
The inspiration was the small block with the newspaper clipping,that I received from my Add-a-border group on flikr.
I used 'made' fabric for the leaves and the machine appliqued them.
That long pieced strip on the left was made from the leftovers of the leaves that I could not bear to throw out!
It is big stitch quilted with perle cotton in different weights and hand dyed embroidery floss!
started Sept.2012 and finished Jan 2015
28 by 23 inches
(so sorry the pics are crappy)
Tuesday, March 24, 2015
Several days ago I was working
on a block for a Quilts of Valor block drive.
It needed to be 10.5" and mine was too small.
So I thought I could increase the size
by adding in a cross.
That was not working to my satisfaction either.
Instead of tinkering with it further, I chopped it all up to make
15 minutes made-fabric.
Voila! A whole new block
which I happen to think is more dynamic!
Sunday, March 22, 2015
I started playing in my strip tub one day and began pulling out the black and white strips and sewing them together. Then I decided it needed some color and I added in a little bit from the other strips in the tub. Once I was done playing with it I put it on the wall and walked away for a few days. However, it kept calling me back and it needed to be a pillow. That meant adding a little bit more to make it square, quilting it, putting a back on it and putting in a pillow form. This was a lot of fun of just playing with strips and then of playing with the quilting.
The quilting is free motion large flowers in two different thread colors all over the top and then the space is filled in with lime green vines and leaves. Lots of fun playing in the studio!
Thursday, March 19, 2015
I have been working very hard at finishing as many quilts as possible for our LQG show in May and finally finished binding this beauty!
It is a collaborative quilt made from houses from a wonky house swap on flikr and a Tinners group swap at my LQG!
There are 21 houses, 32 tree blocks,
10 siggy blocks and 4 twelve inch blocks made by another group I belong to on flikr!
It was a blast!
The back was inspired by the kitchen sink quilts by Victoria!!!!