Last week I played a little each night and here is a bit of what I came up with. First of all I made some fabric from a bag of batik scraps. I made two large pieces both over 12" square. Here is a partial picture of one of the pieces. I thought I might cut them to size and use them as a 12 x 12. They were a bit on the boring side and needed some help, but I decided to sleep on it before making any decisions.
The next night I decided that I didn't want to use them just like that, so I cut them up added some dark burgundy batik from that sack and here are the borders I made that night. Looking pretty good, but now it needs a center and I needed to get to bed.
Night 3 - The plan for this night was to come up with a center block. I love making wonky/funky/liberated (whatever word you use for them) stars. I am known for my funky stars. However, I decided that I didn't want to do that for this border and wanted something a little more traditional since I was using non-traditional fabric. Below is my finished star for my borders to surround.
Here they are put together.
I can usually handle a quilt with only two borders, but this one looks totally unfinished. So, stay tuned for night four. There is more to come on this one and it is going to be too big for the 12 x 12 challenge.