I had about 30 minutes to sew the other night, so it seemed perfect for a little 15 Minutes Play...with black!
Here's what I came up with:
(Measures 11" square)
Here's how I did it:
I pulled out a bunch of black and white prints and created some made fabric.
I was tempted to leave it like this--I really didn't want to cover up any of the piecing! But after a few gray, dreary days, I needed to inject some color, and this piece seemed like the place. So I pulled out my new Bigshot and some leftover Eric Carle Hungry Caterpillar prints and started cutting petals.
I hadn't ever considered the caterpillar fabric in a none-kid capacity before. I really like it. It looks all painterly, and a little like graffiti.
I played around with petal placement and ultimately went with a whole flower, but positioned off to the side of the square.
I used a cool zigzag-type stitch on my machine to applique the petals, which I really liked.
I had planned to do a frayed edge center, but it just got too fluorescent. So I stuck with the pieced black showing through. If I had to do it over again, I would have paid more attention to what fabric combination was sticking through the center hole. What's there is fine, but it would have been fun to pick purposely.
Oh, I forgot. Before I added the petals, I straight line machine quilted the background. Until I sit down and do some made fabric/random piecing, I always forget how much I love the look, especially with straight line quilting to finish it off.
I had known from the beginning that I wanted to use the white/black ticking for the binding. But I thought I needed a little more color, so I added an orange flange.
I am calling this my graffiti quilt.
I love how this turned out. I had a lot of fun playing with the blacks. I don't normally use a ton of black in my quilting, and certainly never all black, so it was interesting to do it purposefully. I really like how it created a textured background for the brighter colors, and how the combination looks so artsy.