Monday, April 19, 2010

A start

To get my photo the right size, I used a projector.
I traced the lines I wanted from the photo, onto a transparency sheet and blew it up to the size I wanted.

Now I am cutting pieces and placing them on the paper drawing, to see how it looks.
I used a dark and light brown wool for the hat and for my eyes. Seemed easier to do the eyes with wool, but I might change my mind. I was thinking of doing black stitching around it, to emphasize the look. I am using tea stained fabric for the main skin, and a darker tea stained to get depth.



I used primitive shirting, which works great with this. I may redo it with wash away, so I can turn my edges and do better placement. The vest is a dark red wool. This wool is from thrift stores. It is from lady's jackets, that has 20 percent nylon. It really felts up nice for applique. I am still debating on the hair. I have some really nice wool yarn, that I would love to couch, but it means, I have to figure it all out for placement, so we shall see;)



This is the background fabric, I will be using. I thought it had the look of the old photo background curtains. I am thinking about bordering the picture with black around the edge, to give it a photo look.

3 comments:

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

This is so fun!!! the hat looks very cool!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

The hat is great! I think you chose a really fun photo to work with.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

The hat looks great and so do your eyes. So fun!