I had another go at this and decided to insert a curved bias strip (1 inch) to add some movement and rounded edges. I inserted the strip in each 6 by 12 inch block, and then sewed them together end to end, lining up the curved strip as best as I could.
I thought it needed some vertical curves, and maybe a little ID for the challenger this month, so here's a V!
Then I put them between my guild's challenge blocks (black and white and aqua) and I love the way it contrasts wtih these linear blocks. uh....maybe I'll just keep it....just kidding!
my block now measures 5.25 by 41 inches. I just made a width of fabric!