But the blocks I made yesterday were made with my own scraps. I came across an old friendship block request and thought it would be fun to use my 15 minutes to play with it. In reading over the directions, however, I thought I found an error. So I adjusted my measurements accordingly and ended up with this:
Not bad, but then I wondered what would happen if I actually followed the directions as written (what a concept!). The blocks on the right are the result.
The difference is barely noticeable but when I added the compensating strips to the offcuts the little star came out to 6.5". In the first attempt the little star is slightly skewed and a very weird size. I think when I make more of these I'll stick to the written dimensions!