I just reread the directions & must apologize right off the bat ... above is my 12" +++ block (not yet sewn together). It is not completely random. It is, however, totally out of my comfort zone (hope that counts)!
I wanted to try some curved slashing so I used a "holey" orange remnant (fabric I do not like so if it didn't work out, nothing precious lost).
The blocks were cut to maximum size possible:
3x4 ... even though I would have preferred 3x3 simply because I like squares better.
Then I looked for some blue & cut more 3x4 floral blocks.
I decided I needed some dark & cut into some brown floral.
Now I had a bunch of 3x4 blocks (basically orange, blue & brown) on my cutting board. I transferred them to the wall, spreading them out & filling in with pink/purple/pale yellow pieces from my scrap box.
Ouch! The brown hurt so I cut those blocks down haphazardly.
Now to fill in the white gaps ... some darker purple/pink, orange/pink, & red/pink batiks.
A little rearranging, add some green, blue, turquoise, & yellow & there you have the "12 inch starting block" at the top of this post.