After creating the Portal/House/Temple as described here
on March 13th, I had these pieces of fabric left over.
I decided to make a house and got to the stage of sewing on the background fabrics. It had steps and wings(!). It then sat on the sewing room floor glowering at me for a week. It had to go. I unpicked seams and did some cutting before I could change my mind. I was left with this (and a few other bits I found on the floor later).
I did a bit (lot) more cutting and sewing and tried this layout. Not bad. In retrospect I could have done something with it. However I had the rotary cutter out and I kept going.
After much cutting and sewing and unpicking and cutting and sewing I ended up with the first mat below. I had added a little more fabric but kept to the original materials. It's not bad. It has heat-proof wadding and machine quilting round the edges.
Below is the second mat made from the pieces. I quite like this - it has something mysterious about it.
There is still a bit of the fabrics left from the original blocks.
I love this cut and sew technique. You can do it in odd moments and you get some surprising results.