Sunday, April 15, 2012

Two tries with ochre

I walked over to my shelves full of stash, and spent about 10 minutes looking for some ochre fabric.  I didn't have any!  As I sat down at my sewing desk, I glanced up at my stacks of "large scraps" (smaller than a FQ) and saw this piece of what I've always called "that ugly fabric." I don't know why I bought it - it must have really been on sale. I cut off some strings a while back for some string blocks, but this piece was left:

I'm not sure how well it shows up on other people's monitors, but there are indeed dark-shaded stripes of ochre running horizontally.

I matched it up with some strings from my string box.

I made this star:



But this morning, as I was working on another project, I discovered these scraps in my scrap box:

That really is ochre.  I'd pinned that blue-based print to the ochre fabric because I felt they just played together really well.  Since the pieces were rather small (the little square is 2.5"), I decided to make a 6.5" inch star instead of my usual 12.5".


I think I will make two stars for each challenge from now on - one large, one small.

4 comments:

The Thimblemouse of Country Crossroads said...

Cyndi - I love both your stars! What a good idea to do two sizes.

sheila 77 said...

I thought I was the only one who didn't have any ochre. It's amazing what is lurking and waiting in our stashes.

QuiltSwissy said...

What a great and fabulous sav e for the "ugly" fabric!

glen

JaneB said...

I love both blocks and like the idea of a small and large block for each challenge. I may steal, er . . . borrow that idea.