Quite a long time ago, Victoria put up a challenge to find a focus fabric and create something around it. I found an old shirt at the Goodwill that had a Southwestern desert theme done in reds, golds, and greens. I didn't have a Christmas quilt at the time, so I started pulling the reds and greens from my stash that went with the fabric. I had another image in the center, but my husband didn't really like it when I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago. A friend gave me this small Santa, which I cut out and machine appliqued. I am going to add more made fabric borders to the top and bottom, them maybe some more of the red and white checks. I just wanted to share the progress.
This is the current challenge piece. This has been so much fun to work on. I
toyed with the idea of finding something more to applique on the plaid fabric, but decided I like seeing all the plaids work with each other. The inner border is the first time I have mitered corners. Next time, I don't think I will try it with stripes. This piece is 22" high by 24" wide.