Sunday, December 9, 2012

My challenge - so far

I loved the challenge fabric, and decided to add more plaids.  What a treasure I found when I dug!
The first thing I did was to build new fabric from plaid scraps.  I cut into the challenge fabric to add to the mix.
I fussy cut the flower motifs from the challenge fabric to applique to two corners. 
I found some more plaid and some stripes for borders.  I haven't had this much fun in a long time.  Then it all went very wrong. After I finished the double button-hole stitch on the bottom left corner, I decided to cut off the excess fabric in the back. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and cut through both layers. I thought I could fix it by sewing it back together using a narrow inset strip. That only made it worse.  After walking away for a day, I decided I could make it all work.
I made more fabric, cut off the rest of the applique, and added the new fabric.  This is what it looks like now.  I will add the borders when I get time this week.  I still like it and it will be my newest Christmas wall piece.
I will post another photo when it is all done.  Thanks for the great challenge, Victoria.  It really has been fun!


Yvonne said...

I'm loving all the plaids! Can't wait to see it completed :)

Nifty Quilts said...


Ellie Q said...

I love all the plaids together--especially that lighter green! You really took a great direction!

Cathy said...

I LOVE plaids. Wish I would of thought of that. Hugs

liniecat said...

I too love the mix of fabrics used here