I loved the challenge fabric, and decided to add more plaids. What a treasure I found when I dug!
The first thing I did was to build new fabric from plaid scraps. I cut into the challenge fabric to add to the mix.
I fussy cut the flower motifs from the challenge fabric to applique to two corners.
I found some more plaid and some stripes for borders. I haven't had this much fun in a long time. Then it all went very wrong. After I finished the double button-hole stitch on the bottom left corner, I decided to cut off the excess fabric in the back. Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and cut through both layers. I thought I could fix it by sewing it back together using a narrow inset strip. That only made it worse. After walking away for a day, I decided I could make it all work.
I made more fabric, cut off the rest of the applique, and added the new fabric. This is what it looks like now. I will add the borders when I get time this week. I still like it and it will be my newest Christmas wall piece.
I will post another photo when it is all done. Thanks for the great challenge, Victoria. It really has been fun!