It's been so much fun seeing all the different directions people have taken with their plaid squares!
I'm happy to report that I've made some progress since my last post.
I got over my need to use blue, green, and red made fabric diamonds. First I tried the plaid in the middle, with blue tips.
Then I switched it up; plaid for the tips, and green and blue in the center.
I tried reds and dark blues for the background, but neither worked. I finally came up with a solution I liked--a thin red border, and lime green woven-look fabric background (the photo doesn't look it at all, but it really is lime). I think the solid and brighter background really helps create a more modern feel.
Two other observations about putting this project together.
1. Except for a couple spots, I'm fairly happy with how my diamond points match. Using made fabric (a bit stretchy) for fairly exact piecing was a bit tricky.
2. I sewed the red borders onto each of the eight diamond segments before joining them together. After that was all done, I decided I wanted to applique it to the solid background. I augmented a semi-failed attempt at adding fusible web to the star with buttonhole machine stitching to secure the raw edges. This will ultimately be a wall hanging because it's not particularly sturdy or fray proof!