They were still kind of bland. Blocks like these usually get trimmed down a good bit, and that will help, but I decided to see if I could take it a little further.
In the photo below, the block in the upper left corner was not one of the original set. I made it after I had been playing with sticks for several hours. Basically I started out with a chunk of the light blue, cut it in half, and then inserted strips in each half before sewing them back together again.
I also layered two prints, sliced through them to make two freestyle nine patch blocks, and then decided to spice them up a bit before I reassembled them.