Monday, February 4, 2013

Patty A's quilt





I did not work on any home improvement projects this weekend.  I focused only on this piece and it felt great!  I took the waist band and zipper flap off the linen pants.  I used those pieces along with the scraps of linen in my stash to make my “made” fabric for the first border around the towels.  I just thought the towels needed a bit of space before adding the border rounds.  As in my original plan the first border was the navy and linen striped fabric.  The width of the border was determined by the width of the striped fabric I had pieced.   

The next border would be triangles using the rust print  and gold shot cotton.  I had never made improve pieced triangles in a row so this was a new technique for me.  I decided to just try and see what happened if I would layer the fabric, double cut, sort the pieces, and then piece the same way I piece strips.  I worked!   I like the way they turned out.  The quilt now measures 56” wide and 51” high so my next round will have to change the proportions so the quilt is longer than it is wide.  My original plan was to take the vintage drapery cotton fabric print and pair it with more natural linen (shown in the picture to the left of the quilt)  into  four or nine patch blocks which then would turn into a checkerboard when I sew them side by side. 

7 comments:

Brenda said...

looks great so far. Love the tea towel twins!

electricdunce said...

This is so dynamic, great colors and the shark tooth border really sets it off. Karin

Nifty Quilts said...

Wow! Love the change in scale, making those small blocks into a bold quilt.

fiberchick said...

Love how your borders are making the traditional block patterns in the tea towels look like tribal motifs!

Carol E. said...

wow! I love what you have so far!

Julie said...

I love what you've done so far, and the chequerboard pattern will go well I'm sure. Fantastic!

patty a. said...

Thank you everyone with your encouraging comments! Patty A.