Thursday, April 10, 2014

Spring Challenge Finished

I had lots of trouble resolving this little quilt and in the end just wanted to get it finished.  I liked the layout of the original block in these first two pics but did not like the leaves.  Originally each leaf was a different fabric and fused on because I was unhappy with my applique skills. Not liking the leaves, I tried making them all the same.  





Then I tried my second preferred layout both with
the different fused leaves and with all the same leaves.  I opted for the different leaves but not being happy with the fused look, tried machine applique around each one.  I didn't like that either.

After some thought I removed all the leaves and settled on four fabrics for the leaves and hand appliqued them.  Here's the final quilt with a self-facing.  Ah-hhh!
                                    
                                     HAPPY SPRING EVERYONE!


9 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

It's wonderful. Thanks for sharing your process.

fiberchick said...

This is beautiful!

Carol E. said...

I think it's beautiful, which is a nice outcome after your angst over the leaves! Congrats on getting it done.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Adorable! Perseverance wins! love it and the leaves!

Helen said...

Hand applique is a useful technique, once you overcome your fear. Your leaves are perfect!

Willa said...

It's good to that others sometimes struggle too - thanks for sharing. Great result!

kimhryn said...

Love this little beauty! And the shape/direction of the leaves is totally worth the extra effort :)

JaneB said...

so pretty . . . good job working through the process until you were happy with it.

sophie said...

It's so interesting to see all the leaf variations you auditioned–thank you for sharing that. I like where you ended, too. Somehow the symmetric arrangement feels more true to Victoria's original sketch.