Then I tried some sticks blocks, using the blue as background. I discovered that by alternating the direction of the sticks I could get a wavy line, which I really liked.
This was a promising development and spurred me on to try lots of different arrangements of the various blocks I'd made.
The problem (in my opinion) was that I now had too much of the light blue. It was distracting. Time to try to work in other fabrics, get more variety in the prints and colors.
As I made blocks and sewed them in place I also sewed together the offcuts, creating a little strip. It turned out to be just the thing to finish off the top edge!